This section tells you more about us and what we do.
What we do
Brain Research UK is the ONLY UK charity dedicated to promoting and supporting research into all 1neurological conditions, at centres of excellence THROUGHOUT the UK and further afield.
We will support the very best scientists and clinical researchers wherever they may be located in order to fast-track medical progress for people with a neurological condition.
1Neurological conditions are disorders of the nervous system (the brain, spinal cord and nerves).
Our strategic aim:
To raise money to fund and facilitate research into the causes, prevention, treatment and cure of neurological conditions.
Our main objectives are to:
- Promote and support neurological research
- Increase the level of research into neurological conditions
- Establish new and develop and support existing centres of neurological research excellence across the UK giving greater patient access to clinical research trials
- Speed up medical advances for people with a neurological condition
- Save life and improve the quality of life for all those with an injury or disorder of the brain and nervous system
- Raise the profile of neurological conditions
We believe that by adopting a comprehensive and inclusive approach to neurological research we can:
- Promote, facilitate and enhance knowledge sharing and the application of research findings to advance developments across a wider range of neurological conditions
- Break down the ‘silos’ in neurological research that have resulted from an approach to research funding based predominately on the names of the different neurological conditions and the means by which damage to the brain and nervous system has been caused, i.e., injury or disease
- Remove many of the barriers to research progress to speed up the possibility of new discoveries and medical advances for people with neurological conditions
- Create a voice for neurological research. With a potential supporter base of over 10 million people in the UK, plus their families, this gives us a campaigning voice stronger than any other to date. Research is the only way to achieve a better future for all with a neurological condition, turning hope into reality.
Underpinning our work will be an ethos of:
- Effective communication – with all parties and especially with those supporting our work who have a right to know that their money is being well spent and used to make a difference to the lives of people with a neurological condition.
- Co-operation and collaboration and where appropriate the co-funding of research to achieve shared goals
- Openness and transparency, fairness and objectivity.
Implicit in our work is a sense of urgency to reduce the vast amount of suffering caused by injury and disorders of the brain and nervous system, as quickly as possible. As such we will not be bound by convention where adherence to convention is contrary to the interests of people with a neurological condition and will constantly seek out new and appropriate ways to achieve our goals.
The dandelion seed head is a complex and fragile structure – as is the brain and nervous system. Through our research programme we aim to improve the lives of the 10 million plus people in the UK, and over a billion worldwide, who have a neurological condition. In our logo this is symbolised by an imperfect seed head. Six seeds have detached from the globe, one of which is a different colour to the others. This represents the one in every six of us who has an injury or disorder of the nervous system.
How we are funded
We do not receive any funding from government and are dependent on the generosity of our supporters to fund vital research.
If you would like to help us in our work please Get Involved.